How To Add Drop Down In Google Spreadsheet
How To Add Drop Down In Google Spreadsheet – Inconsistent data can cause problems in Google Sheets. A misspelled word, typo, or typo can result in messy or misleading reports or sorting. Especially in large lists, names (e.g. “touch screen” or “touch screen”), numbers (e.g. “10” vs “ten”) or dates (e.g. “January 2020”, “2020-01” or “January 5, 2020”) may cause problems.
If you have a Google Sheet with inconsistent data input, it may take some time for the cell contents to become consistent. A series of sort actions (Data | Sort) or search and replace actions (Edit | Find and Replace) can help turn a jumble of input into a standardized set of cells.
How To Add Drop Down In Google Spreadsheet
Data validation helps ensure consistency when people enter information. In Google Sheets, this function allows you to either select data from a list, or the system selects the entered data in a certain format. The first feature, a drop-down list in a cell, works well when the potential input options for the cell are known and consist of a not-too-long list. The last feature, data validation, works best when the contents of a cell must meet certain conditions (eg, be a valid date or a valid date before or after a specified date, offer a check box, etc.).
How To Make Dropdown In The Google Sheet For Day, Month And Year In Separate Column
You can add data validation to a cell in Google Sheets in a web browser on your computer (such as Chrome on a laptop or desktop or Safari on iPadOS) or in the Google Sheets app for Android. Google Sheets for iOS supports selecting items from a list and validating data as you type, but does not include the ability to add a new data validation to a cell.
Impressively, you can also add dropdown options to an Excel file formatted in Google Sheets. When you open an XLSX file in Sheets—in a browser on your computer or in the Sheets app for Android—the data validation feature is available just like in the original Google Sheets. Your Excel file will retain its original XLSX format even after you import it into Google Sheets. (If you want to add a drop-down menu in Excel, read How to add a drop-down list to an Excel cell. For more Excel tips, check out 56 Excel Tips Every User Should Know.)
In both cases below, you need to open the Google Sheet you want to edit and select the cell (or cells) you want to change.
The following steps provide a list of options that the user can select in a cell. You can either enter a list of parameters using the data validation function, or you can enter the parameters into other cells in your Google Sheet and then direct the data validation function to that range of cells.
How To Create A Drop Down List In Google Sheets: Add/remove/customize Drop Down Menu
1. In the browser, select Data | data verification. In the Google Sheets app for Android, tap the menu with three vertical dots (top right), then tap Data Validation (Figure A).
Select Data | Validate data in Google Sheets in a desktop web browser to create a drop-down list or validate input.
In the Google Sheets app for Android, tap the menu with three vertical dots (top right), then tap Data Validation (Figure B).
In the Google Sheets app on Android, tap the vertical menu with three dots, then tap Data Validation to set drop-down menus or validation options for selected cells.
Google Sheets: Drop Down Lists
3. If you selected List From Range, elsewhere in the Google Sheet, enter a range of cells containing the list of items you want to display as drop-down options.
4. If you selected List of Items, enter the drop-down menu options as desired, separating each item with a comma. In the Google Sheets app for Android, tap Add in the row below the List of Items option, then enter your list, separating each item with a comma.
5. Check the On Invalid Data option. Although the default is Show Warning, if you select data that is not the default, you can change it to Reject Input to ensure that the data in the cell is valid.
6. Optionally, you can check the box next to Appearance and then enter text explaining what type of cell is valid. In the Google Sheets app for Android, under Appearance, move the slider to the right, then tap Edit, enter text to explain which entry is valid, then tap OK. If you don’t, and the person enters data that doesn’t pass validation, the system displays the standard “Problem Occurred” message and points to the cell that violates the validation rules (Figure C).
Drop Down List บน Google Sheet และ Excel
Check the Appearance option and add the check help text (above). When people enter incorrect information, this text explains how to correct the input. If help text is not activated, a generic message (below) is displayed after incorrect input.
If you use Google Sheets, do you use the data validation feature to ensure that data is entered correctly, especially in shared sheets? And when entering data in the Google Sheets mobile app on Android or iOS, does the drop-down list make data entry faster and more efficient? Let me know how you use Tableau’s data validation capabilities by leaving a comment below or on Twitter (@awolber).
Learn how to get the most out of Google Docs, Google Cloud Platform, Google Apps, Chrome OS, and all the other Google products used in business environments.
Andy Wolber helps people understand technology and use it for social impact. He resides in Albuquerque, New Mexico with his wife Liz and daughter Kathy. Learn how to change dropdown options in Google Sheets, manually edit list items, or change the contents of a range of cells.
How To Insert & Delete Drop Downs In Google Sheets (with Data Validation)
A drop-down list helps speed up data entry and standardize data in a Google Sheet. Select a cell, select an item from the list, and move on to the next task. Whether you’re using Google Sheets in a web browser on your computer or the Google Sheets mobile app on Android or iOS, you’ll benefit from fast and accurate data entry. To add data validation to one or more cells, see: How to create a drop-down list in Google Sheets.
Sometimes it is necessary to change the parameters of the drop-down list. For example, you may need to add a new product, service or option, or remove an option that you no longer need. Whether you’re using the drop-down list for people, places, or things, you can change the suggested options at different times.
Because Google Sheets offers two ways to create a dropdown list, the way you edit the dropdown list options is different. The following steps cover editing a manually entered data list and modifying a list created from the contents of an array of cells. Either way, you’ll need to open a Google Sheet first and have edit access to the sheet and the cells you want to change.
Subcategories In Google Sheets • Casual Inferences
Note. You can edit a drop-down list in Google Sheets in a desktop web browser or in the Google Sheets app on Android.
1. Click or tap to select the cell or cells with the data validation option you want to change.
2. In the web browser, select Data | data verification. In the Google Sheets app for Android, tap the menu with three vertical dots in the upper-right corner, then tap Data Validation.
3. In the web browser, edit the list of items in the text box to the right of the Criterion field (Figure A). Edit the text to add or remove elements as desired, separating each element with a comma.
How To Create And Use A Dropdown List In Google Sheets
In a web browser, select one or more cells and select Data | Data Validation, and then edit the text in the Item List field. Select Save to apply the changes.
In the Google Sheets app for Android, tap +Add, type text to add an item, and tap the check mark to the right of the field when you’re done (Figure B). Repeat the process for each item you want to add. To delete an item, touch the displayed item and then press the delete key.
In the Google Sheets app for Android, select one or more cells, then tap the three vertically aligned dots (left), select Data Validation (middle), then edit the list items (top right) or customize the list pane (bottom right).
4. When you’re done making changes, click or tap Save to apply the changes to the selected cells.
Google Apps Script
5. Click or tap any of the modified cells to display the edited drop-down list, and then verify that the edited content is displayed correctly.
1. Go to the section of the Google Spreadsheet that contains the cells containing the specified range to test the data.
2. Edit the contents of these cells as needed to change the drop-down list items that appear (Figure C). After editing each cell, the Data Validation drop-down list will automatically display the new data after selection.
If your data validation retrieves content from cells in a range, edit the content
Create A Drop Down List In Excel From Another Worksheet
How to create drop down list in google spreadsheet, how to add date in google spreadsheet, google spreadsheet drop down list, how to add filter in google spreadsheet, how to add image in google spreadsheet, how to create drop down in google spreadsheet, how to add drop down list in google spreadsheet, create drop down in google spreadsheet, google forms drop down list from spreadsheet, how to add rows in google spreadsheet, add drop down in google sheet, how to add in google spreadsheet